What is Classis?
“A Classis is a group of churches within a geographical area which has the authority to deal with matters that concern its churches individually or in common.”
Welcome to the official internet home of Classis Alberta North of the Christian Reformed Church in North America. Organized in 1956 and incorporated as a society in the Province of Alberta in 2006, Classis Alberta North has 27 organized churches, 3 emerging churches, and a campus ministry at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.
The Mission of Classis Alberta North as a regional gathering of Christian Reformed churches is:
- To assist, support, and encourage faithful and creative local ministry, promoting healthy churches;
- To assist, support, and encourage local churches to unite in shared ministries of evangelism and diaconal involvement through denominational and common initiatives.
Its Vision is that Classis Alberta North will be a gathering of mutually supportive, healthy churches expressing the good news of God's Kingdom that transforms lives and communities.
Classis also adopted the following criteria for Classis to engage in ministries as Classis:
In order to fulfill our Mission and Vision, Classis Alberta North is developing a multi-year ministry plan and has adopted the following criteria (in bold, as you had before) for Classis to engage in ministries together. These criteria are:
- Ministries serve to create and support healthy congregations and allow them to better carry out their local ministries;
- Ministries have the strong support and/or involvement of a significant number of congregations;
- Ministries are affordable and served with the appropriate personnel resources;
- Ministries require support because they are too large for any one congregation to carry out.